Let’s Change the Brain
It all starts today.
IM improves timing in the brain in an organized, systematic, flexible and engaging format.
The improved timing that is trained through IM is known to carry over to academics
(improved attention, reading, writing, & math), muscial abilities, and sports.
Better timing leads to improved:
Attention & Concentration
Motor Planning and Sequencing
Balance and Coordination
IM strengthens the neural connections/skills needed to efficiently code new information. Increased processing speed improves efficiency of working memory, which is the most central cognitive ability for new learning and performance.
Improved timing and coordination developed through IM helps the brain to be able to effectively process sensory, auditory, and verbal information.
Studies have shown that IM causes re-myelination of white-matter tracts (those involved in language and speech processing and integration of auditory and motor function) within a few training sessions.
Research shows that combining movement and cognitive tasks leads to better overall outcomes. IM challenges thinking and movement simultaneously and provides real-time feedback to help synchronize the body’s internal clock. Improved synchrony of brain networks brings permanent changes.
Common observations of children after IM:
- More “in sync” with activities and environments around them
- Appear “more comfortable in their own skin”
- Increased fluency and content of speech
- Decreased cluminess, improved balance and coordination
INTEGRATED LISTENING SYSTEMS
- Bilateral motor coordination
- Vestibular processing (balance, movement, body in space)
- Visual processing and eye-hand coordination
- Auditory processing, attention, and memory
- Verbal formulation
- Overall speed of processing
- Emotional regulation & impulse control
- Self-Confidence & Self-Expression
- Reading/Writing abilities
Who Can Benefit?
iLs has a global effect on the brain and is therefore used to achieved a wide variety of therapeutic goals:
- Learning challenges- reading, writing, attention
- Developmental delays (e.g., ASD and Down Syndrome)
- Sensory Processing
- Rehab for brain injury and stroke
- Stress and sleep-related issues
How does it work?
How do we do iLs differently?
At SPS, we individualize each iLs protocol to meet the needs of each client. We can develop treatment plans to combine iLS with other brain plasticity programs such as Interactive Metronome and traditional thearapy techniques to establish the greatest gains.
All SPS therapists are iLS certified clincians and our Director is an Advanced iLS Certified Provider.
Our Fast ForWord Programming strengthens auditory processing and literacy skills to increase reading proficiency in students of all ages. Together, our Fast ForWord Auditory Processing (Language) and Reading Series (Language-to-Reading, Reading 1-5, and Reading Assistant) Programming applies neuroscience principles of brain plasticity to improve processing efficiency and combines advanced speech recognition technology with scientifically-based courseware to help strengthen reading fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Our Fast ForWord Programming accelerates learning by helping the brain process more efficiently, providing struggling readers with intensive exercises that build the cognitive skills required to read and learn effectively—memory, attention, processing rate, and sequencing. The strengthening of these cognitive skills results in a wide range of improved critical language and reading skills—skills that are necessary to learn how to read or to become a better reader.
- Memory– the capacity to store information and concepts, essential for: word recognition, sentence comprehension, and following instructions
- Attention– the ability to focus on tasks and ignore distractions
- Processing– the ability to distinguish sounds quickly to discriminate their differences, a prerequisite skill for phonemic awareness and reading
- Sequencing– a cognitive skill that relies on memory, attention, and processing, essential for: phonics, word fluency, reading and verbal comprehension
SPS Atlanta was one of the first clinics in the U.S. to apply brain research to help children improve auditory processing, reading, and academic functioning. Contact us today to set you child up for success.
All Brains Can Benefit
from Fast ForWord
Fast ForWord benefits all students because it improves their learning capacity. Whether your child or young adult fits into one of the categories below or you just suspect that he or she has listening, reading, and/or attention difficulties, we can help you determine if Fast ForWord is the answer.
Fast ForWord’s technological ability to “acoustically modify” speech helps students recognize and discriminate speech sounds, starting with isolated sounds and progressing to connected strings of words such as phrases and sentences.
Children with these diagnoses often find Fast ForWord programs very engaging because of the visual appeal of the exercises and the frequently repeated tasks.
750 Hammond Drive
Building 4, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30328